In only three of 45 seasons, has Alta Ski Resort had less than 100 inches of snowfall by New Year's. When the season ends mid-April, they've usually amassed more than 500 inches of the white stuff on their 2200 skiable acres. The terrain is tough, vertical, serious, and the nightlife minimal and unnecessary. Alta’s a place of grip over hip. It's where old-school Tele-skiers intersect with free riders on fat rockered skis for the common joy of simple skiing. Duck through the trees off Eagle’s Nest, scoot down Glory Hole, rip the chutes off the Supreme Lift. And when you stand at the top of the Collins Lift, buckling down, zipping up, you know you're in for a stellar day at Alta, Utah.
But unlike its famous neighbor, Snowbird, Alta has more than enough beginner terrain to entertain families and tots. Twenty-five percent of the mountain features rolling groomed runs and gentle tree trails for novices while the rest of the mountain is split between intermediate and expert terrain. Powderhounds beeline for the backcountry access gate at the top of Supreme Lift every chance they get.
Snowboarding is not allowed and none of Alta's diehard fans are whining.
Direct flights arrive into Salt Lake International from most major cities. Alta is located 25 miles southeast of Salt Lake City at the top of Little Cottonwood Canyon, State Highway 210. It's a 45-minute drive from the airport so take a morning flight and be on the hill by the afternoon.
Alta opens (weather permitting) mid November and closes mid-April. Hours are 9:15 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
- Lifts include two detachable quads, two triples, three doubles, three surface tows and a vertical drop of 2020 feet.
- There are five rental shops around Alta's base and a demo center mid-mountain at Alf's.
- Alta has three on-mountain cafeterias, a sitdown restaurant and a coffee shop.
- It's first come first served for Alta's ski school. No advance reservations for group lessons.
- Daycare and Mommy and Me private lessons are available for kids under 4.
General Information: (801) 359-1078
Snow Report: (801) 572-3939
Fax Number: (801) 799-2340
General E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
PO Box 8007
Alta, UT 84092 U.S.A.
Little Cottonwood Canyon
Alta, UT 84092